iOS and Android continue to lead smartphone market share with 96.3% in fourth quarter

BY Evan Selleck

Published 24 Feb 2015

image IDC 2014 q4 market

iOS and Android are easily the most popular mobile operating systems on the planet, but sometimes getting the gist of that takes another quarterly breakdown.

The latest report from IDC indicates that Apple’s and Google’s mobile OS continue to dominate the smartphone market, and by a wide margin. For iOS in the fourth quarter, it took up 14.8%, while Android in the same quarterly length amassed 81.5% of the market. Together, that means the pair combined for a total of 96.3% of the total market.

As one can imagine, that essentially dominates the competing platforms, including BlackBerry, Windows Phone and others.

image IDC 2014 q4 2

iOS climbed just over two percent in the latest results, and the report indicates that Apple shipped 192.7 million iPhones during the year. The report suggests that this was based on the strength of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus sales.

While iOS and Android continue to roll over the competition, vying for third place is still a powerful battle between the likes of BlackBerry, Windows Phone and others. It will be interesting to see how these platforms continue to stack up in the months, and years, ahead.

[via IDC]