Couple of weeks, a purported iPhone 5 case design suggested that Apple’s eagerly awaited next generation iPhone will be completely redesigned with a larger edge-to-edge screen, curved/sloped back, and larger capacitive home button.
We’ve also heard reports that cases based on the purported iPhone 5 case design are everywhere in China and Chinese counterfeiters seem to be so confident that the case designs are accurate that they’ve already started selling iPhone 5 knockoffs.
We’ve also seen some iPhone 5 mockups based on the case designs.
Folks at MacRumors also commissioned a design studio -CiccareseDesign to create high quality renderings based on the purported iPhone 5 case designs as they feel that leaked iPhone case designs have a decent track record in predicting future iPhones. Here are some of the interesting details from the renderings, which was created by taking measurements from the original case design leaks, and then imported into 3D modeling software:
- The elongated hole for the home button has suggested that the home button may itself also become more oval in shape.
- Renderings have enlarged the screen size to the space shown on the case designs. But, Apple has introduced a “swipe down” from the top of the screen notification system in iOS 5 that could benefit from some extra finger-space near the top of the screen in order to properly register.
- The representation here, however, does show a 4 inch screen which preserves Apple’s current screen ratio.
- The back of the device has tapered edges which makes it look much closer to the iPod touch.
- The final dimensions of the new design are calculated to be: 4.33″ x 2.36″ and .27″ thickness at the top and .21″ at the bottom compared to 4.5″ x 2.31″ x .37″ of iPhone 4. So the new design is actually shorter than the existing iPhone 4, but slightly wider and thinner.
Though the screen size looks a little odd, overall, the iPhone in the mockups looks very cool. What do you think? Will you buy or upgrade to iPhone 5 if it looks like this?