Unlike Verizon which unlocks all its 4G devices, AT&T still locks its iPhones to its network. This means you cannot take your AT&T iPhone, drop in a T-Mobile SIM and expect it work. Before you can bring that iPhone to a new carrier domestically or overseas, you have to meet the minimum criteria and go through AT&T’s official channels to unlock the device. Want to find out if your iPhone is unlocked? And how to unlock it if it is locked? Read on for information on unlocking your iPhone on AT&T’s network in 2020.
Do I Need to Unlock my AT&T iPhone?
AT&T locks all of its iPhones to its network, so you likely will need to request an unlock. If are not sure whether your phone is eligible to be unlocked, you can check online here via AT&T’s website. The carrier will remove this restriction on your iPhone if requested, but there are several requirements you must meet before the carrier will approve your request.
- The device must be designed for use on, and locked to, the AT&T wireless network.
- It must not be reported lost or stolen.
- It’s not associated with fraudulent activity.
- All the device’s service commitments and installment plans are completed, and all early termination fees are paid in full.
- The device is not currently active on a different AT&T customer’s account.
- If you performed an early upgrade, you must wait the 14-day buyer’s remorse period before you can request to unlock your previous device.
- If the device was activated with a service commitment or installment plan, your account must be active for at least 60 days, with no past due or unpaid balance.
Once your phone meets the minimum criteria, AT&T will send you a notification with information about how to unlock your phone. If you need additional details, AT&T’s unlocking policy is available here.
Read: How to check if your iPhone is Unlocked or Not
How Do I Unlock my iPhone on AT&T?
Unlike Sprint which takes some of the burden off the consumer by removing this restriction when a customer is eligible, AT&T will not unlock your iPhone automatically. You need to make a specific request as follows:
- From your desktop or tablet, go to att.com/deviceunlock.
- Read and agree to the eligibility requirements to unlock your device.
- Complete and submit the form.
- You’ll receive a confirmation email with your unlock request number.
- Select the link in the email within 24 hours of receipt to confirm your unlock request.
- AT&T will respond within two business days.
- If your request is approved, AT&T will email an approval email. AT&T may reject your request or require you to send in additional information.
- After you receive the email approving your unlock request, remove the AT&T SIM card and insert the new carrier SIM to begin set up.
If you learn that you’re not eligible for an official carrier unlock or your iPhone is locked with another carrier not mentioned above, then you can opt for an IMEI unlock. It works just like the official carrier unlock, which means it’s permanent, works with all models and OS versions, persists even after a restore, and doesn’t require you a jailbreak or any other hacks.
There are a lot of IMEI unlock providers, but it’s best to go with trusted providers like Express Unlocks, as there are a lot of scammers out there. The price to unlock iPhone varies based on your carrier. They support all iPhone models such as iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPhone X, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5C, iPhone 5, iPhone 4S and iPhone 4.
My AT&T iPhone is Unlocked, Now What?
Most carriers will walk you through the process of unlocking your phone, so no need to worry about those details. Once it is unlocked, you can use your iPhone on another carrier by following the instructions below:
- Power off your iPhone.
- Remove the existing SIM card from your phone.
- Insert the new SIM card (from the different carrier) in the SIM card slot.
- Restart the iPhone.
- After the iPhone restarts, follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup process.
Have you unlocked iPhone on your carrier? Did you run into any issues? Please share your experiences in the comments.
Learn more about how to unlock iPhone on other carriers by following the appropriate link below:
Last updated: January 30, 2020
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links which mean that we may receive a commission if you click a link and make a purchase. Thank you for your support!