Netflix released a new version of its iOS app with an option that allows you to control the quality of the video you see, and in turn allowing you also to manage the data usage on your iPhone or Cellular iPad. No more relying on Netflix’s built-in network analyzer, the controls are now in your capable hands. Read on for a quick tutorial on how to configure this new and very useful option to avoid paying overage charges.
How Much Mobile Data Does NetFlix Use
If you’re on iOS 9 or higher, then you can find out how much mobile data Netflix is using.
- Launch the Settings app.
- Navigate to Mobile Data or Cellular.
- Scroll down to Netflix under “Use Mobile Data For” section to find out how much mobile data Netflix is using on your iPhone.
How to Reduce Mobile Data Usage in Netflix on Your iPhone
First, you’ll want to download the new Netflix app from the App Store. Either download the app directly using this App Store link or open the App Store app on your iPhone or iPad, tap on Updates in the bottom right corner and then select “Update” to begin downloading the latest version of the Netflix app.
Once installed, you’ll want to open the Netflix app and travel to the App Settings by tapping the three lines in the upper left corner and then scrolling down to “App Settings.” Tap “App Settings,” and you will find an option for “Cellular Data Usage.”
The first option you can choose is “Set Automatically”, which lets the app select the default data and quality settings for you. You also can turn off this option and configure the video quality settings manually. The manual options include the following:
- Off(WiFi Only) — this blocks streaming over cellular and allows only WiFi playback.
- Low — this option allows you to watch up to 4 hours of content for each GB of data.
- Medium — this option allows you to watch up to 2 hours of content for each GB of data
- High — this option allows you to watch up to 1 hours of content for each GB of data
- Unlimited — this option allows you to watch unlimited videos at the highest quality. Only recommended for someone with an unlimited cellular data plan.
If you’re not on an unlimited data plan and worried about your mobile data usage on your iPhone or cellular iPad, then you can either turn it “Off” or select the “Low” option.
Do you watch Netflix over a cellular connection on your iPhone or iPad? Are you happy to see these controls added to the iOS app? Let us know in the comments.