After pulling the HomePod 13.2 update due to bricking complaints from HomePod owners, Apple has released a new HomePod 13.2.1 update. The update aims to fix the bricking bug and does not bring anything new to the table over and above the HomePod 13.2 update.
HomePod 13.2 was a major update and introduced multi-user mode, Handoff support, Ambient sounds, and more. Below is the official release note of the update:
- The ability for HomePod to recognize the voices of different family members to provide a personalized experience.
- Handoff music, podcasts or phone calls by bringing your iPhone close to HomePod
- Add music to your HomeKit scenes.
- Play relaxing high-quality soundtracks with Ambient Sounds.
- Set sleep timers to fall asleep to music or Ambient Sounds
Most users who installed the update on their HomePod where in for a rude shock though as their smart speaker simply ended up in a boot loop after installing the update. Apple was quick to update its support document highlighting the issue and also pulled the update while at it.
This update is only for those HomePods that were yet to install the previously available 13.2 update. If your HomePod was bricked while installing the update, this update is not going to fix things for you. Your only option is to contact your local Apple Store and take the speaker to Apple for a replacement/repair.