However to install their yellowsn0w application to unlock iPhone 3G, you need to first jailbreak iPhone 3G.
So here is a step-by-step guide to jailbreak iPhone 3G using QuickPwn for Mac users.
Some important points to note before we start:
- Hacking your iPhone 3G could void its warranty.
- Since one of the important requirements to unlock iPhone 3G is to upgrade to iPhone firmware 2.2 (as it exclusivley works with baseband firmware 02.28.00 which comes bundled with firmware 2.2), you need to be aware that iPhone firmware 2.2 breaks Turbo SIM (in case you are using it) – the hardware method to unlock iPhone 3G so if Dev team’s software method which is still in beta does not work you might not be able to use your iPhone 3G.
- This guide is to jailbreak iPhone 3G running iPhone firmware 2.2. If
you have updated your iPhone 3G to iPhone firmware 2.2.1 then check out
our updated step-by-step guided for firmware 2.2.1. If you want to preserve the firmware 2.2 baseband while updating to firmware 2.2.1 then check out our step-by-step guide of using PwnageTool.
- This guide is for Mac users, Windows users can refer to this step-by-step guide to jailbreak iPhone 3G using QuickPwn (Windows).
Preparatory steps before jailbreaking your iPhone 3G.
- Please take a backup of your iPhone, refer to this post for more details.
- Since Dev team’s unlocking solution works exclusively with baseband firmware 02.28.00, you will need to upgrade your iPhone 3G to iPhone firmware 2.2 without preserving its baseband. You can check your firmware and modem firmware(baseband) versions via Settings->General->About and look for Version and Modem Firmware.
- Please ensure that you have upgraded iTunes to iTunes 8.0.2.
- Please download QuickPwn from this link.
If your iPhone 3G firmware Version is 2.2 (5G77) and Modem Firmware is 02.28.00 then you are ready to jailbreak your iPhone 3G, you can skip directly to “Jailbreak iPhone 3G using QuickPwn” below.
If you want to update your iPhone 3G to firmware 2.2 then you can
follow the steps mentioned below (“Update your iPhone 3G to iPhone
You can also follow these instructions if
you want to update your iPhone 3G running firmware 2.2 with preserved
baseband to firmware 2.2 (5G77) and baseband firmware02.28.00.
Update your iPhone 3G to iPhone Firmware 2.2:
- Please download firmware 2.2 for iPhone 3G using this link.
- Connect your iPhone 3G to your computer via USB cable and launch iTunes and select your iPhone.
- Hold the OPTION key and click the “Restore” button. iTunes will launch a file dialog for you to select the firmware file. Locate the iPhone1,2_2.2_5G77_Restore.ipsw file for firmware 2.2 that you have downloaded in step 1 and click “Open”.
- iTunes will then restore your iPhone with firmware 2.2 which takes sometime, please wait for the process to complete.
Once your iPhone 3G is updated to iPhone firmware 2.2, you are ready to use the QuickPwn tool to jailbreak it.
Jailbreak iPhone 3G using QuickPwn:
- Launch QuickPwn to start jailbreaking your iPhone 3G.
- Click Ok to accept the copyright notice.
- You will then be prompted to connect your iPhone 3G to the computer, click the OK button once its connected.
- QuickPwn will automatically detect your iPhone 3G.
- QuickPwn will now automatically search for the latest firmware for your iPhone 3G.
- You will be then be asked if you would like to replace the original boot and recovery logos on your iPhone. You can either select Yes or No to continue.
- QuickPwn will then build the custom iPhone firmware for your iPhone 3G.
- You will be then be prompted to enter your administrator username and password. Enter it and then click OK to continue.
- QuickPwn will put your iPhone into DFU mode (Device Firmware Upgrade mode). It will prompt you to turn off your iPhone 3G.
- Then you will be prompted to hold both the Home and Power buttons for 10 seconds.
- Finally, you will prompted to release the Power button while you continue holding down the Home button for another 10 seconds.
- If successful, you should see the message below where QuickPwn starts sending information to your iPhone 3G to jailbreak it and will be notified that QuickPwn is modifying your iPhone 3G. This step will take sometime and will result in your iPhone getting rebooted. Please don’t interrupt the process.
- After your iPhone 3G reboots, it will be jailbroken and will have Cydia and Installer apps installed and visible on your iPhone’s home screen.
If you have upgraded to Mac OS X 10.5.6 (or using the new MacBooks) and facing a problem then it is because the latest update prevents your Mac from recognizing iPhone in DFU mode which is important to jailbreak iPhone 3G.
The Dev team had suggested possible fixes which they have noted that one should try at their own risk:
1. Use a USB hub in-between the DFU device and the Mac and insert/reinsert the iPhone’s USB cable. (recommended solution)
2. You can checkout this simple guide to re-enable DFU Mode in Mac OS X 10.5.6 (but please proceed with caution as some readers have hit issues).
As always, don’t forget to drop us a line to tell us how it goes.